Monday 27 April 2015

[Straits Times] Caregivers in dire need of help

MY GRANDFATHER has dementia and we are trying to place him in a dementia home. The medical social worker has told us that the waiting list is six months long.
Six months is a long time. My grandfather screams day and night, and insists on going to work or chasing away the "white man" in our house.
My helper is very patient, but how much longer can she bear the brunt of it?
My father has sleepless nights taking care of my grandfather, and yet needs to go to work in the morning. The stress is likely to aggravate his high blood pressure problem, and the doctors have said there is a high possibility of him suffering a stroke.
Even the daycare centre my grandfather attends cannot manage him any more and is on the verge of evicting him.
The only reason he is still being taken care of is the centre staff's big hearts and our pleas to them to manage the challenges until we find a place for him.
My family has cared for my grandfather for as long as we can. With all the emotion, drama and sleepless nights, we are in dire need of respite.
I cannot help but also feel for the other families on the waiting list. I hope the authorities will hear our cries and do something to help.
Nadera Abdul Aziz (Miss)