Monday 27 April 2015

[Straits Times] My Point

Illegal parking in CCTV blind spots
I WELCOME the move by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to install more closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras along the roads to deter illegal parking ("LTA placing CCTVs at 60 more sites to deter illegal parking"; April 9).
Such cameras greatly improve the traffic flow along certain stretches of congested roads, hence contributing to shorter travelling time and safer driving for all.
Unfortunately, I still see some motorists trying to beat the system by parking their vehicles in the blind spots of the cameras.
Would the LTA nab them by scrutinising, at least at random, some of the images closely?
Only through outwitting such acts will the implementation of and investment in the surveillance cameras be fully justifiable.
Chee Chi Weng


Nurses can raise red flag
I READ the April 16 report ("Surgeon cleared of misconduct charges") with sadness.
At least one person in the operating theatre should have known that the surgeon was administering undiluted cardioplegia, yet no one made an effort to stop it.
Such errors can be prevented.
It is important for all operating theatre nurses to learn from this unfortunate incident.
They must be the "eyes and ears" of surgeons, who are often too engrossed in performing their tasks, and raise the alarm when things are not right.
Surgeons must also have the humility to respond to the nurses' concerns.
Lee Soh Hong (Miss)


Lower fees for HFMD checks
AS A pre-school teacher, I have to check the children for hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) before they enter the classroom.
I have consulted my doctor on the things to look out for, but, sometimes, I cannot be sure whether the marks on a child are ant bites, rashes or HFMD.
My doctor has said that if I am not sure, I should refer the child to a doctor.
I followed his advice, and asked parents to produce a medical certificate before the child could attend school.
However, seeing a doctor is not cheap. It costs parents at least $10 to $20 to get their child checked.
I propose that pre-schools be linked to doctors or clinics so that the charges to check for HFMD can be lowered, so parents do not mind taking their children for a check-up.
Yvonne Tai Geok Hong (Ms)